The Permit Review Committee has approved plans for the rehabilitation of the historic Wilson Theater. Built in 1909 in the Classical Revival style, the building was converted into a bank in the 1920s and was used as a bank until 2011. Planned by Double Down Development, the building is poised to return to its original theater use, with Double Door Theater planning to move in.
With Barker Nestor on board for the design, the building will undergo repairs to the existing limestone facade. The arched storefront window system and entrance doors will be replaced, and all new glass will be vision glass.
For signage, the building will get a new 17-foot-tall blade sign with halo-lit letters and incandescent lights, reminiscent of the original blade sign. A new marquee will protrude over the entrance, spanning the inset center section of the facade. Supported via an interior cantilever, the marquee will not be hung off the building. The marquee will feature a white backlit sign with individual black letters. On the underside, socket-style lights will harken back to the original historic marquee of the building.
The committee commented on the size of the marquee and advocated for the reduction of its dimensions. After discussing with the architects, the committee ultimately approved the exterior rehabilitation work. With approval from the Permit Review Committee, the development can move forward and look towards permitting and construction. A timeline for opening is currently unknown.